In New York State, students can earn three types of diplomas:
1. A Regents diploma
2. An advanced Regents diploma
3. A local diploma
All of these diplomas are valid high school diplomas. All students can earn a Regents or advanced Regents diploma. An Advanced Regents diploma lets students show additional skills in math, science, and languages other than English. Only some students who meet specific criteria can graduate with a local diploma, with lower exam scores.
To earn a diploma, students must earn specific course credits and pass specific Regents exams. If you believe your student is not on track to graduate, please speak to your school’s guidance counselor immediately.
Regents Diploma -
Students must achieve a score of 65 or higher on these five exams to earn a Regents diploma.
- English Language Arts (ELA)
- Any math exam (Algebra I, Geometry, or Algebra II/Trigonometry)
- Any social studies exam (Global History and Geography or U.S. History and Government)
- Any science exam (Living Environment, Chemistry, Earth Science, or Physics)
- Any additional Regents exam, or another option approved by the State