PHONE POLICY AT BRONXDALE
CELL PHONE AND ELECTRONIC DEVICE POLICY
Students are permitted to bring their phones to the school. The Christopher Columbus Campus has a collection practice in place. Please see the Bronxdale Policy for Collection of Cell Phones below for more information. Students may opt to leave personal phones at home, as office phones will be available to them.
BRONXDALE HIGH SCHOOL POLICY FOR USE OF CELL PHONES, COMPUTING DEVICES, AND PORTABLE MUSIC AND ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
- Cell phones and portable music and entertainment systems may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination.
- Computing devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination, except where such use has been explicitly authorized by the school or is contained in an Individualized Education Program (“IEP”) or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
- Use of electronic devices during the administration of state standardized examinations is governed by State Education Department Rules.
- Electronic devices may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Electronic devices may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms.
- Electronic devices may not be used for audio/video or photographic recording of a person without their explicit consent.
During the school day
- Electronic devices will be collected upon entry into the building. Each student will have an assigned “Mailer Envelope” in which the phone will be stored securely. Students will still be expected to go through scanning after collection.
- Electronic devices will be stored in a locked room with limited personnel assigned for re-distribution.
- Electronic devices will be returned by their last period teacher at the end of each student’s regularly scheduled school day. If the device is not picked up at the end of the school day, it will be stored until the end of the following school day.
- If a student must leave the building early, the electronic devices will be provided to the parent/guardian at the time of pick up. If the student is leaving early for an athletic event, the electronic device will be provided upon receipt of the required note from the coach.
- If a student is found in possession of an electronic device during the regular school day, the device will be confiscated and returned at the end of the school day. For the first infraction, the student will receive a warning and the parent will be contacted.
- If there is a second infraction, the parent will be contacted and the phone will only be returned to the parent/guardian.
- If there is a third infraction, the parent will be contacted for a meeting and the student could face disciplinary action, including entering into a behavioral contract and loss of privilege of bringing electronic devices into school.
- Students will be permitted to have their cell phones during after school programs and/or school-sponsored activities. However, cell phones may not be turned on or used during this time. If cell phones are out and in use, these shall be confiscated following the steps noted above.
- Students who use cell phones, computing devices, and/or portable music and entertainment system in violation of any provision of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, Chancellor Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“ISUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.
- Bronxdale High School is not responsible for stolen, damaged or lost cell phones, computing devices or portable music and entertainment systems brought onto school grounds. In the event that a cell phone or other electronic device is reported stolen, our staff will thoroughly investigate the incident and address any student related misconduct accordingly.